FS9 And FSX in Windows 10

Talk about Flight Simulators!

FS9 And FSX in Windows 10

Postby BigVern » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:33 am

Have now got both the laptop and main PC upgraded to run Windows 10. Unfortunately an almost tragic downside is that both FS9 and FSX have serious issues trying to run on the new operating system.

After a bit of Googling and some adjustment to the cfg file, have managed to get FS9 running in windowed mode. Trying to run full screen simply ends up with the monitor going black with mouse cursor spinning, can't Alt-Tab or run Task Manager, had to kill it with a hard re-boot.

FSX (patched boxed version) I have managed to get the front end UI (menu screen) to load but as soon as I click a button to select an aircraft or arrange a flight it just freezes up.

Loads of references to issues on MS' own Help site, but few answers forthcoming from them as both seem to be regarded as old and unsupported software. That might be the case, but unless you are prepared to go down the questionable legality of using Prepar3D for "entertainment" or X-Plane (if that works) they are still the most current comprehensive civilian flight sims available. Most users over the years have probably invested several £100 in hardware and software add-ons.

Just wondered what experience others have had getting FSX in particular to run. Would it help to buy the DTG/Steam version as, presumably, Dovetail are at least trying to update it for Win 10 otherwise they're not going to sell many copies as more and more people move to the new O/S.
Proudly Supporting All Train Sims Since 1993
BigVern
Driver

Re: FS9 And FSX in Windows 10

Postby BigVern » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:35 pm

No one?

Well, anyway I have decided to purchase the Steam edition as I've heard there seems to be more chance of getting that to run than the original boxed copy + SP's.

Worst case scenario is I rollback to Win 7 and still end up with a more up to date copy of FSX than before.
Proudly Supporting All Train Sims Since 1993
BigVern
Driver

Re: FS9 And FSX in Windows 10

Postby cjbarnes5294 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:43 pm

I must admit, I've not played Flight Sim since I was given a copy of 2004 about 5 years ago, so I wouldn't be able to tell you whether the pre-steam versions work in Win 10 or not. To be honest, I don't really see why they wouldn't, as I've yet to find a program that isn't compatible with Win 10, including the free Wavosaur audio editor that I downloaded earlier this week - that must be getting on a bit now. That all said, I don't run many programs on my PC so I'm probably not the best to judge! :P As you say, other than looking in the flight sim forums or asking Just Flight or one of the other content publishers, the only way to find out would be to install Win 10 and see what happens, and if it doesn't work you can roll back to Win 7.

I've read that the Steam Edition of FSX runs more efficiently and smoother than the original version does, so purchasing the Steam Edition might have been a good investment anyway. :)

Kind regards,
Chris
The Red Queen Hypothesis, applicable to train sim development?

"Here, you see, it takes all of the running you can do, to keep the same place."
cjbarnes5294
Driver

Return to Flight Simulators