Concern over TrainDecal.fx

Concern over TrainDecal.fx

Postby briyeo » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:40 pm

I have added some decals to a model of a bus, for adverts and fleetname. When I place the bus in game depending if I touched it last or touched another asset before exiting the World Editor, the decals will have a red or yellow colour. When I exit the scenario and then replay it, the decals look fine. I'm just wondering if there is something I have not done right? Or is this normal?

If it is the last asset touched it shows red

If I have touched another asset before exiting the editor it shows yellow.

After exiting the scenario and then replaying it everything is fine.

briyeo
Driver

Re: Concern over TrainDecal.fx

Postby malkymackay » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:46 pm

Nothing to worry about, that's perfectly normal in the editor.
malkymackay
Full Time Fireman

Postby briyeo » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:59 pm

OK, thanks. I'm sure I have come across this before a while ago, but not looking quite so obvious. I tried an older model that had a small decal and that didn't seem to behave quite the same.
briyeo
Driver

Postby xguerra » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:33 pm

I had the same problem doing reskins for the WCML Shap Class 87 for some bizarre reason.
xguerra
Engine Cleaner

Postby briyeo » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:13 pm

Well at least they end up right when saved and the scenario restarted, so I suppose it is nothing to worry about. :?
briyeo
Driver

Postby JamesLit » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:25 pm

Sorry for thread the necromancy, but bearing in mind this problem, and that decals don't seem to be properly lit - if at all (having Mk1s with glowing/bright BR crests go past in the dead of night does get a bit boring...) might it not be feasible to start using a different train shader for decal based items? In theory - with my limited knowledge - I can't really see any reason not to use TrainDecal.fx specifically..... you can still do things like alpha transparencies and so forth with other decals, and they will actually be lit properly and don't experience the red/orange selection issue.
The Forge Simulation | Like us on Facebook!
Owner & Director | Content built with care, not compromises.
JamesLit
Driver

Postby TrabantDeLuxe » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:42 pm

The red decals thing is rather annoying when previewing things. When you start the scenario it disappears though, so no huge problem.

@James, I remember that traindecal.fx is suited for decals as it shows some of the specularity and normal information of the underlying geometry. Not really sure though. I am rather certain that traindecal.fx does cause less Z-fighting issues. Other than that, it's perfectly possible to use other shaders for decals. And suddenly I'm thinking about waving flags using waterscenery.fx :P .
TrabantDeLuxe
Passed Fireman

Postby JamesLit » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:13 pm

TrabantDeLuxe wrote:The red decals thing is rather annoying when previewing things. When you start the scenario it disappears though, so no huge problem.

@James, I remember that traindecal.fx is suited for decals as it shows some of the specularity and normal information of the underlying geometry. Not really sure though. I am rather certain that traindecal.fx does cause less Z-fighting issues. Other than that, it's perfectly possible to use other shaders for decals. And suddenly I'm thinking about waving flags using waterscenery.fx :P .

Ahhh yes the spec and normal stuff, I forgot about that. :P I do wonder if it's possible to get a similar effect with other ways, though, and as for Z-fighting... just take more care :lol: :P
JamesLit
Driver

Postby TrabantDeLuxe » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:17 pm

I don't think any of the other shader use underlaying spec and normal. Although my experience is limited. Why have a dedicated traindecal.fx otherwise? And carefully avoiding z-fighting? Ain't nobody got time fo' that!
TrabantDeLuxe
Passed Fireman

Postby JamesLit » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:32 pm

TrabantDeLuxe wrote:I don't think any of the other shader use underlaying spec and normal. Although my experience is limited. Why have a dedicated traindecal.fx otherwise? And carefully avoiding z-fighting? Ain't nobody got time fo' that!

The amount of time some devs spend on things - my lads included - you certainly do ;) And as I say, yes, I'm sure you can't get the same effect but I still think you can probably achieve similar using other methods :P
JamesLit
Driver

Next

Return to 3D Objects General