Geo exports with no texture paths

Geo exports with no texture paths

Postby JamesLit » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:00 pm

I've found in the past that on a few occasions (in the past few months, maybe 6 months or more to be honest :lol: ) an IGS will export to Geo successfully but the model in game will have no textures showing (all missing textures) - on inspection of the Geo, where it should have the path and name of the Geo (with of course [00] before the name) it just says [00] and that's it. No path or file name at all.

Obviously it's not exactly difficult to address this manually, but, it'd be nice not to have to...

Do any of you clever people know what on earth causes this?
The Forge Simulation | Like us on Facebook!
Owner & Director | Content built with care, not compromises.
JamesLit
Driver

Re: Geo exports with no texture paths

Postby cjbarnes5294 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:55 pm

I've had that happen when 3DS Max couldn't find the texture resources for the model. Max does not seem to cope well with relative paths, and when the modeller's Railworks folder path was in the default location on the C drive whereas mine was a custom location on my HDD to keep it off the SSD that C was on, it couldn't find the textures. Shift+T and changing all of the file paths for the missing dependencies to find them on my system was all that I needed to do, re-export and then the IGS correctly had the texture file paths included.

Kind regards,
Chris
The Red Queen Hypothesis, applicable to train sim development?

"Here, you see, it takes all of the running you can do, to keep the same place."
cjbarnes5294
Driver

Re: Geo exports with no texture paths

Postby JamesLit » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:51 pm

Thanks for the response Chris - funny you mention that, though, because before I put any textures in, I always save the model in the location the IGS is going to be exported to and set up the Textures folders and put it in like that, so the set up on the model is exactly the same as I intend it to be as far as the geo is concerned. I did as you describe earlier on when troubleshooting and the issue remained the same so I simply edited the geos with RW_Tools and sorted the problem myself - just handy to know people's thoughts for the future.

Still, I'll try that again next time I've got the issue.....
The Forge Simulation | Like us on Facebook!
Owner & Director | Content built with care, not compromises.
JamesLit
Driver

Return to 3D Objects General