Bogie Blueprints causing problems

Bogie Blueprints causing problems

Postby SteveP_trains » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:38 pm

I am having problems with some bogie Blueprints for steam loco.

Does anyone have any ideas why a Bogie Blueprint could slow or limit the speed of a loco?

I have sort of proved it is the blueprint by simply swapping a “good” bogie blueprint with a problem one. The good one allows the loco to run up to 20 mph with ease, the problem one limits to 7 mph with same regulator & cutoff settings.
Good bogie has two axles, bad one has three.

Run out of ideas so hoping someone can shed some light on these bogie Blueprints!!!

Cheers
Steve
SteveP_trains
Full Time Fireman

Re: Bogie Blueprints causing problems

Postby VictoryWorks » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:00 am

That's really odd, I've never heard of that before.
Perhaps check the wheel diameters and offsets. I've created bogies before that launched themselves into the air because the diameter and location settings of the wheels meant that they would be colliding if they really existed like that.
VictoryWorks
Driver

Postby SteveP_trains » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:31 am

Thanks for the reply Pete.
I've checked the diameters and locations and the wheel sizes are actually smaller than that prototype and don't foul.
I too have had the "leaping like startled rabbit" syndrome for bad positions but this doesn't display that feature.

The wheel arrangement is a 2-6-2 but on a Narrow Gauge build so dimensions are much smaller than a BR size. I've cheated and looked at a Tornado type layout blueprint and sort of copied that but displays the problem on my NG build.
Since my original post I have made some progress in fault-finding. Removing the middle wheel stops the problem in the main bogie but then it seems to be the leading and trailing bogies that re-introduce the problem and I have actually modelled the bogie blueprint and run that to make sure no fouling is apparent.

One thing that does occur to me is the need to have the "invisible" axle for the 2 wheel bogies - does this need to be inside the overall length of loco to avoid final bounding box issues?? I have modelled them inside which does make things a bit cramped on NG.

Will keep on trialling and see!!

Thanks
SteveP_trains
Full Time Fireman

Postby JamesLit » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:41 pm

Your mileage may vary, but: where a dummy invisible axle is required, I have always made it a tiny 1x1x1in invisible (usually hidden inside another object) box, level with the origin of the bogie object itself. This has worked nicely for me thus far.
The Forge Simulation | Like us on Facebook!
Owner & Director | Content built with care, not compromises.
JamesLit
Driver

Postby TrabantDeLuxe » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:30 pm

I've never had an issue with just leaving the geometry references blank for invisible axles.
TrabantDeLuxe
Passed Fireman

Return to Rolling Stock General