64-bit Editor Corruptions?

Postby Widewanderer » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:24 pm

Greetings,

Has anyone else noticed a possible problem with the 64-bit edition route editor apparently corrupting tracks.bin files?

I've been busy for a while, and purely for my own amusement, remodelling signals and tracks on the very excellent Western Lines of Scotland route, based on signal drawings I've seen from the 1960s. I'm using signal blueprints featuring AndiS's scripting system.

Since the arrival of the 64-bit edition of TS, I've started seeing this happening (this is the track links view):

The green sticks which represent the positions of track links have started turning yellow. Anyone know what this yellow means? And once a link's stick has turned yellow, there is no way that I can select the link in order to adjust it.

Moreover, scenarios which were before working quite happily, have now become "broken" - pathing errors begin to appear with destination/platform/siding markers now apparently missing, and the signals often cease to work properly. Closer inspection of, for example, portals, reveals that some portal links (tho' not all) have disappeared completely, although the portal itself still appears to be there. Strange!

Restoring a previously backed-up version of the tracks.bin file puts everything back to normal, and the scenarios now work properly again. :?

I'm having to be mighty careful just now about keeping versions of my tracks.bin file carefully and regularly backed up before starting an editing session, and to make damned sure I use only the 32-bit edition editor for route editing (where this apparent corruption does not seem to occur). :evil:

I'm going to set about raising the matter with DTG, but before I do, I thought I'd ask around here to find out if anyone else has seen this problem.

Cheers everyone!
Rob :-D

Saul Junction, Glos.
Widewanderer
Fit for Firing Duties

Re: 64-bit Editor Corruptions?

Postby AndiS » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:30 pm

DTG acknowledged this a while ago -- the editor is just broken in 64 bit. At least the part that handles Tracks.bin. Scenarios and routes get destroyed.

Glad to see you got backups.
Sad to see that the message has not gotten through all the other turmoil on UKTS about various individuals having individual issues.
AndiS
Top Link Driver!

Postby Widewanderer » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:32 pm

Thanks Andi,

I thought that was the case. And sorry I didn't pick up on the problems via UKTS - soooooo much noise on that forum, and the phrase, "can't see the wood for the trees" comes to mind.

Saves me a job opening yet another ticket with DTG, seeing as they have already acknowledged the issues.

Will stick to good ol' 32-bit for editing for the forseeable future.

Thanks again!

Saul Junction, Glos.
Widewanderer
Fit for Firing Duties

Postby brysonman46 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:27 pm

As I understand it, serz.exe was written as a 32bit application. Hence the problem compiling/decompiling tracks.bin in 64bit. I believe the new update from DTG has provided a new version. I am still working in 32bit in the Editor
brysonman46
Passed Fireman

Postby Widewanderer » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:30 am

I've just logged on to Steam, and my TS installation seems to be up-to-date. Inspecting the properties for serz.exe (date stamp 2018-10-23) suggests that it is still 32-bit. Which explains why I stumbled over the tracks.bin corruptions again by misteak yesterday.

I guess the best advice remains to avoid use of the 64-bit editor for route editing for the foreseeable future.

Thanks for all your help, chaps.

Best wishes,

Saul Junction, Glos.
Widewanderer
Fit for Firing Duties

Postby Peter Goodearl » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:34 pm

I asked them if it had been updated yet:

'We have not yet released an update to the editor. Once available we will publish patch notes on our forums and via the Steam news pages.

Kind Regards,

Daniel
Dovetail Games Customer Support

Ticket Details'

Regards
Peter
Peter Goodearl
General Shed Duties

Postby RailWorkshop » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:29 pm

Is 64 bit corrupt only those routes which were built on 32 bit version?
I have made few test routes (say dummy) to check stocks etc and everything work fine, I made all of them after 64 bit arrived.
RailWorkshop
General Shed Duties

Postby AndiS » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:41 pm

It is possible that if you started a new route most recently, then you are not affected. Or you are but you have not realised it yet. Or your route is too simple to be affected.

I would not invest one minute into the 64-bit version of the editing tools until full confidence is regained.
And be sure to keep lots of backups, all the time.
AndiS
Top Link Driver!

Postby brysonman46 » Sat May 11, 2019 9:47 am

Has anyone tested track laying (including complex junctions) and signal placing (with links that stay in place) in the 64bit editor since the latest version of Railworks.exe was issued (ver 66.1b I believe), with the updated serz.exe. I am still using the 32bit editor, but it can be annoying having to come out then into the 64bit if I wish to test a complex scenario on a large route.
Until I am 100% satisfied that all is well, I am loathe to risk it

Nick
brysonman46
Passed Fireman

Postby Peter Goodearl » Sat May 11, 2019 3:41 pm

brysonman46 wrote:Has anyone tested track laying (including complex junctions) and signal placing (with links that stay in place) in the 64bit editor since the latest version of Railworks.exe was issued (ver 66.1b I believe), with the updated serz.exe. I am still using the 32bit editor, but it can be annoying having to come out then into the 64bit if I wish to test a complex scenario on a large route.
Until I am 100% satisfied that all is well, I am loathe to risk it

Nick

It has been working fine for me.

Regards

Peter Goodearl
Peter Goodearl
General Shed Duties

Next

Return to Route Creation