I have no idea where this is going...

Use this forum to show off your hard work to the other visitors of this site.

Re: I have no idea where this is going...

Postby VictoryWorks » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:33 pm

That is stunning, great work!
I love PBR. One day we might move over to TSW/UE and get to take advantage of it.. maybe :roll:
VictoryWorks
Driver

Postby TrabantDeLuxe » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:37 pm

Paris-Nord to Amiens, can I count you in?
TrabantDeLuxe
Passed Fireman

Postby AndiS » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:48 pm

From a project-feasibility point of view, we should first explore what the French have to parallel www.old-maps.co.uk and www.britainfromabove.org.uk and some Lidar data like that available for UK.

In case we fail to locate that (be it because our French is not good enough or because there is nothing suitable available), we should consider a UK route where they tried these beasts. We could always install some cool French semaphores so the poor thing feels at home. Though for authenticity, it ought to be considered that those who promoted compounds would have been more likely to promote US speed signalling than French semaphores.
AndiS
Top Link Driver!

Postby TrabantDeLuxe » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:02 pm

Regardig routes, the good news is that there Will be a lot of time for someone to make one before I finish the engine :D

French routes would be interesting in a slightly pre-ww1 timeframe. But that is a personal opinion - I suspect the 30's will be more populair with others. Concerning the selection of a line, these engines, in small numbers, saw service with the Nord, Midi, Ouest and Est. A slightly enlarged type was used by the Paris-Orleans. Only the PLM had their own design.

If you want the uk ones, the riviera line is a good place to start I'd think. My prime reservation is that there's nearly no technical information on what equipment was added and removed to GWR-ify these locomotives. But then I havent really asked anyone.

Finally it should be known that unlike others I dont have commercial obligations to make sure there's a route for the thing to be run on.
TrabantDeLuxe
Passed Fireman

Postby AndiS » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:44 pm

Perfect project plan then: You finish your beast by the time Pete runs out of GWR stuff to model. This will be doable.
GWR and Riviera in particular are very well documented, to say the least. So we get a chance at finding the precise shell distribution on the beach and grass composition on the embankment to suit your engine.
I'll start the signalling ASAP. I'm not sure I can make up the one year that you are ahead. You must have more time for modelling then me.
AndiS
Top Link Driver!

I have no idea where this is going...

Postby RailWorkshop » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:45 pm

Hi, did you tried Substance Painter to paint you locomotive?
I used to make hand made textures in GIMP in my early days but when I started using it, my workflow speed increased drastically.
Substance Painter comes with smart materials and various other cool features, a worth try!
RailWorkshop
General Shed Duties

Postby TrabantDeLuxe » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:50 am

I have, but my PC is way below minimum specs so Substance Painter becomes a bit of a nightmare to use.
TrabantDeLuxe
Passed Fireman

Postby VictoryWorks » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:03 am

AndiS wrote:Perfect project plan then: You finish your beast by the time Pete runs out of GWR stuff to model.

:lol:
VictoryWorks
Driver

Postby TrabantDeLuxe » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:46 pm

VictoryWorks wrote:
AndiS wrote:Perfect project plan then: You finish your beast by the time Pete runs out of GWR stuff to model.

:lol:

Well Pete, have you? Have you?!!

So I realise not everyone is on Discord these days. Therefore, let me just chuck in these screenies to capture your attention. I've written a custom shader that accepts a b/w reflection map, reflective intensity, specular and gloss map. This has really helped me get the model to the next level.

Some detail work. I might have gone overboard but I find doing these things really rewarding.

I made a set (2 is a set, right) of coaches to go with it too. I'll have to dig up some drawings of a fourgon to go with it I think.
TrabantDeLuxe
Passed Fireman

Postby Auscgu » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:13 am

Trabant,

That looks very impressive.
I want to know when it will get the GWR treatment for La France?

The textures on the coach and loco are they using you new shader?
Caledonia Works is using bump maps to create the uneven textures on his locos.
Looks very effective.
Sorry Peter for the dirty words.

Cheers Ausc
Auscgu
Passed Fireman

PreviousNext

Return to Showroom