Re: Victoria Station Hotel

Postby briyeo » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:14 pm

Help I'm being attacked by brick counters. :D :D :D

I promise to take another look at them when I have time :P
briyeo
Driver

Postby Pauls » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:08 am

Charnwood Forest Railway brick dimensions including 1 course of mortar along one vertical end, one vertical side and one horizontal side and one horizontal side........

.1181m x .2388m x .076m

Without mortar.........

.1111m x .2318m x .0699m

I've checked other buildings in other local areas and the above dimensions are reasonably close - however I think Brian should visit the Victoria Centre and do some measuring ! - you have to do several bricks then take the average measurements - don't worry the shoppers won't think you strange at all ! :lol:

Can't think what Andi might be suggesting in his previous post ? :)

Cheers
Paul
Pauls
Driver

Postby Rockdoc2174 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:05 pm

Measuring bricks is not all that odd but taking photos of the gents' toilets at Quorn and Rothley recently definitely got me some sideways glances - the wrought-iron scrolls on the gas-lamp brackets around the station a bit less so! The things we do to get a route modelled properly..... :-)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rockdoc21 ... 5491591946

Keith
Rockdoc2174
Driver

Postby Pauls » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:41 pm

Rockdoc2174 wrote:Measuring bricks is not all that odd but taking photos of the gents' toilets at Quorn and Rothley recently definitely got me some sideways glances - the wrought-iron scrolls on the gas-lamp brackets around the station a bit less so! The things we do to get a route modelled properly..... :-)

Keith

I mean, it's not like there is anything odd about this sort of behaviour ?? - perfectly normal :lol: ..........

http://www.youtube.com/v/UCId3kjWPs8
Pauls
Driver

Postby briyeo » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:05 am

Pauls wrote:Charnwood Forest Railway brick dimensions including 1 course of mortar along one vertical end, one vertical side and one horizontal side and one horizontal side........

.1181m x .2388m x .076m

Without mortar.........

.1111m x .2318m x .0699m

I've checked other buildings in other local areas and the above dimensions are reasonably close - however I think Brian should visit the Victoria Centre and do some measuring ! - you have to do several bricks then take the average measurements - don't worry the shoppers won't think you strange at all ! :lol:

Can't think what Andi might be suggesting in his previous post ? :)

Cheers
Paul

Thanks Paul, I will ask Keith to go, his reputation is already shot. :D
briyeo
Driver

Postby briyeo » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:38 am

I like to think of my models as an artists impression, dimensions just make things more difficult ;) You are going to have to count wooden planks on this one, but there will be bricks and rivets too, not the right size or in the right places. :)

briyeo
Driver

Postby eyore » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:20 am

briyeo wrote:I like to think of my models as an artists impression, dimensions just make things more difficult ;) You are going to have to count wooden planks on this one, but there will be bricks and rivets too, not the right size or in the right places. :)

I'm with you Brian!

If it looks right, it is right, is my motto. :D
Phil

eyore
Passed Fireman

Postby Rockdoc2174 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:12 pm

I know all railways had a house style, so that, for example, you can generally recognise a Midland minor-station building almost anywhere in the country, but the GCR took it to extremes and the majority of stations along the London Extension - those with island platforms - used a set of buildings that varied only a little from one to another. My visits to the preserved stations at Quorn and Rothley were to help get the model of New Basford as close as we can. New Basford is one of the small number of stations where access was from below though a subway, rather than down from an over-bridge, but the strong indication is that the width of the stairs is the same at all of the sites. Standardisation seems to have been the rule. They aren't quite clones, though. At Quorn and Rothley stations the Ladies' Waiting Rooms are at opposite ends of the block and the arrangement of the ladies' toilets differs. At Quorn and Rothley, the chimney by the entrance on the bridge - from the staff rooms under the stairs and inside the bridge structure - is on one side while at what was Belgrave and Birstall it was on the opposite side of the porch.

Although Nottingham Victoria was a huge station by comparison and was very much its own design, standard elements still played a part. The stairs up to the cross-bridge in Brian's latest model look very similar to those at Quorn and Rothley. Brian found a reference to their having been 7ft wide. When I checked at Quorn, the stairs were also 7ft wide and the walls, roofs and window arrangements are all but identical. I have no evidence but the implication must be that the company had a factory knocking out the parts to be shipped to site and erected, like an Airfix kit.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rockdoc2174/14640403133/

Don't you just love research?

Keith
Rockdoc2174
Driver

Postby briyeo » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:18 pm

Thanks Phil, we will stick together on this :)

You shouldn't have mentioned the GCR staircases being the same Keith, I think Paul is an expert on those. :shock:
briyeo
Driver

Postby Rockdoc2174 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:24 pm

If it improves our knowledge and leads to greater accuracy for The Friargate Line then I'll be delighted to be proved wrong. In that sense, this isn't so very different to academic research. You do the work, put the conclusions you've drawn from the evidence into the public realm and wait for the fireworks to begin.

Keith
Rockdoc2174
Driver

PreviousNext

Return to 3DCrafter